Located at the corner of 8th Ave and Martin Luther King Blvd, in Sacramento's Oak Park, station #6 is the 3rd fire house in the 150 year history of the SFD to be assigned the number 6.
3301 Martin Luther King Blvd
As the years passed, the Oak Park Station had became one of the busiest stations in the city, and because of the size of the modern fire apparatus, it was time to re-locate station 6. Opened in 1974, the new Station 6 housed Engine and Truck Companies No. 6 and the Chief of the 22nd Battalion.
Currently station 6 is the busiest fire house in the Sacramento Fire Department. Now located in the 2nd Battalion, there are 3 companies assigned to the Station, Engine 6, Truck 6 & Medic 6.
Year in and year out, Station 6 is ranked in the top 5 for the busiest 3 piece company houses in the nation. The station has averaged over 13,000 runs annually the last two years:
Our new paint job...
NEW "PEEL" FOR THE STATION
WHAT COLOR IS YOUR BOX?
The History of Sixes
Sacramento has the distinction and honor of organizing the first fire company in California. This was Mutual Hook and Ladder Company No.1, which was organized February 5, 1850.
Young America Engine Company No.6 was organized by the residents of Sacramento on June 21, 1855, and was located in a two story brick building, on the east side of 10th street between I and J streets. By 1860 this company had 58 members.
The laying of the cornerstone of the engine house and quarters of Young America Engine Company No.6 took place on Friday, January 1, 1858. The building was erected by the trustees of the company. The event attracted a large concourse of spectators, including most of the officers and members of the fire department.
The cornerstone of the building was laid by Joseph S. Friend, who was the chief engineer. He was assisted by A.C. Bidwell, first assistant. The cornerstone was about eighteen inches square and made of white Consumnes freestone, capped with a slab of white marble, inscribed in the under side, "Young America Company No.6."
On December 2, 1931, the engine house and property were sold to the Standard Oil Company by the city. The Standard Oil Company planned to open a museum for historical fire equipment, but that never came to pass, and sometime later they tore the building down.
When the engine house was torn down the tin box was removed from the cornerstone, the contents were taken to Fort Sutter. All there is left today of the once historical "Young America Engine Company No.6" is a plaque giving a brief history of the years gone by. The old fire bell and the name plate which hung above the door are relics at Fort Sutter.
A great rivalry existed between Young America Engine Company No.6 and Eureka Engine Company No. 4, for invariably Eureka Company would beat them on the fires. On one occasion, Eureka Engine Company No. 4 was called to a fire, they extinguished the flames and were ready to return to their house when Young America Engine Company No.6 arrived on the scene.
There was one member of Young America who took this matter to heart, and it was not long when he conceived the idea that a bell in the tower of Young America would be the right and proper thing.
It was in the early part of 1857 that this same member, unknown to any of the other members, ordered a bell from New York City. When the bell arrived the firemen asked several members of his company to help him move a crate. After a brief explanation, the bell was secretly moved to the Tenth Street fire house and hung in the belfry. Its initial clanging surprised and delighted the boys of Young America. The Young America bell was rung for the first time on New Year's night in 1858.
Many years after the paid department in the city of Sacramento was adopted, a group organized a volunteer fire department in the Oak Park district. Some years later, a special tax was levied for funds to purchase an up-to-date hose wagon and a new location for Engine Company No. 6.
By 1905 Engine Company No 6. and Truck Company No. 3 were re-located to the new station on 4th Avenue. This would be the home of these two companies until 1974.
Young America Engine Company No. 6 Circa 1870
10th Street, between I & J
Engine Company No. 6 & Ladder Company No. 3 34th St & 4th Ave. (Circa 1925)
Memories of the Fire Service, Captain Harvey Michael Heiser, 1941